Questions for discussion:
- What are some pleasant surprises that you can recall from your life?
- What unpleasant surprises can you remember?
- Is there anything about you that others might find surprising or unexpected (strange or dangerous hobbies, famous relatives or friends, unique experiences, etc.)?
- What has surprised you about coming an adult and getting older? Has anything been easier/harder that you expected, etc.?
- Are you able to react quickly to surprising or unexpected situations (interview questions, etc.)? Can you "think on your feet"?
- Have you ever organized surprise parties, practical jokes or pranks for friends, family, or colleagues? Have such events ever been organized for you?
- Can you recall witnessing some surprising or unexpected moments during sports competitions or televised events (your team winning in the final seconds, etc.)?
- We often remember where we were and what we were doing when we learned about some major personal or global news. Have you had such an experience? How did you react in the moment?
- What book/film/show/play surprised you or subverted your expectations?
- Horror and thriller films often use unexpected twists to keep you on the edge of your seat. Do you like this type of storytelling? Can you recall some particular examples?
- Are there any pop culture phenomena that appear surprising or unexpected to you in recent years?
- Are there any place that you have visited that really surprised you or subverted your expectations?
What do think would most surprise foreigners visiting Russia/Moscow for the first time?